Four Blocks, Anyone?

Well, we've been back at school for a little over a solid month now... and, we just got told that we're going to maybe try Four Blocks!  We were doing Direct Instruction Reading (snoooooore!!!) and then were told at the beginning of the year that we could stick with the DI or switch to something we want.  Except, the "something we want" was just that.... anything.  We weren't going to be given anything.  This was about 2 days before school started.  As much as I don't like DI, I feel like it does an okay job with teaching phonics to the kids.  It's there.  We have the materials.  And, it's not that horrible.  So, first grade decided to stick with the DI for at least the beginning of the year.  Now, we were given some books about Four Blocks and asked what we thought about trying it out.  How can we say no?  "Nah, I'll stick with a program that I don't 100% believe in because I'm too lazy to switch to a whole new program and learn a new way of teaching Reading and Writing!"... I can't say that!  ;-)

So, here I am.  I understand that basics of Four Blocks.  I'm worried about tossing my super low readers into a new program.  But, I also feel like Direct Instruction isn't the way to go.

Any tips on starting Four Blocks in first grade?  I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments