Newbie Developments!

As I mentioned in my last post, I got a new student in my class.  He's a very "special" friend.  He came to our school with an IEP and, as previously mentioned, is super low.  I am so determined to help this little guy learn his letters, sounds, and words.  I would be so proud of him if he left first grade knowing just those three things.

Last week I was noticing that he wouldn't respond when I called his name.  I'd have to say it 4 or 5 times.  I'd make sure I was pronouncing it right.  I'd say it louder.  I even tried jumping up and down while saying it (just kidding).  I was pretty much shouting his name all day.  I sent him to the nurse to get his hearing checked because, ADHD or not, I've never met a student who never responded to his/her name being called.

The poor guy is deaf.  The nurse said that he couldn't hear any of the little beeps no matter how high it was turned up.  We ended up getting more paperwork from his previous school that mentioned something about hearing aids (say what?!)... and his disability was labeled as deaf (among other things) on his ETR.

What shocks me the most is that his mom never mentioned anything about any of this to the school.  We had to call her to get some more answers and she admitted that the hearing aids are crucial to his learning...but he didn't like to wear them so he never took them to school.

One of the hearing aids is broken but he was sent with the working one today.  He just played and played with it all day - took it out, put it in, covered his ears, and cried because everything was too loud.  He basically spent the whole afternoon hearing aid-less with his hands over his ears (...which I think was more of a defiant behavior than anything else...).

I really feel like I have my work cut out with him this year.  It's a whole different disability that I've never had to accommodate.  Have you ever had a child with hearing loss in your classroom?

Thanks for reading!

4 comments

  1. I had a student a few years ago who was extremely hard of hearing. I wore a special microphone on my shirt collar and he had a piece that fit in his ear. I also wore a belt that turned the mic on/off. That way, when students were working independently and I was conferencing with students, he did not have to hear my voice being blared into his ear. I believe our school counselor is the person who arranged for the student to get this service. Perhaps you can check into it. It made all the difference in the world to my student. However, you are teaching a younger age group than me, and it will not work if your young fellow is going to take out his hearing aid.

    One thing that was really nice is that the instrument that when in the young man's ear was so small that none of the other students knew he had a hearing aid. Students never questioned why I had a microphone on my shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya - Thank you so much for your comment! I found out today that I will be getting the microphone! I'm so excited! A tiny part of me feels like it'll be the same as the hearing aids - just something to take out, play with, and break... but I will definitely give it a try. It makes me feel better that it worked so well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The microphone will make a world of difference! You'll love it :)
    I hope that you don't mind, but I just Boo-ed your wonderful blog. You can check out the link to the linky on my blog :-)
    Teach With Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It sounds like you might be having an interesting year. Trust me...you are not alone! I wear a microphone every day and it has made a world of different in my classroom. I can't imagine not using one.

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com,

    ReplyDelete