I Lost My Paddle!

I feel like I'm swimming upstream with no stinkin' paddle.... when it comes to teaching Reading.

I know I posted about our (lack of) Reading program before.  We used to use a direct instruction Reading program.   All of our students were placed in a group that was just right for them... which meant that most of my babies were reading at a Kindergarten level.  I didn't like the program but I thought it did an okay job teaching decoding to the kids.   Well, we don't use that anymore.

There was talk about Four Blocks and we had a little professional development on that.  Then, we were told that we weren't really going to do Four Blocks.  HUH?!   Come on, it is DECEMBER!  Can we figure out what it is we ARE supposed to be doing?

We were pretty much just left on our own to do what we thought would work.  So... here I am.   My paddle is WAY back there.  I feel like I'm not doing enough for these kids.  I'm afraid they aren't making enough progress.

So, I'm going to swim REAL hard today (and hope to find my paddle).  I'm off to scour the internet for guided reading (pretty much any kind of reading) materials so I can make a beneficial plan for my kids.
Have a great weekend!

4 comments

  1. Wow, that is difficult! I'm sure you are doing better than you are giving yourself credit for, but I understand! I'm kinda in your same boat. Hope you find some great information and feel good about what you are doing.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words! After lots of searching and researching, I have a nice, solid plan for my kiddos now! I'm hoping to see lots of progress from them. :)

      Janet

      Delete
  2. Have you looked into using the Daily 5 with the Cafe? I personally love it with my small groups and look forward to using it when I (eventually) get my own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were originally going towards Daily 5... but now we're not. They told us to stick to guided reading with some word work... so not exactly Daily 5. We're getting a new Reading program next year... thank goodness!

      Delete