Teaching from the HEART

Unexpected day off!  Yay!  Thank you, freezing cold weather!

I guess that means I'll be using my backwards design lessons tomorrow! ;)  The assessments were created and the activities were planned...tomorrow it'll be time for the teaching!

Can I get mushy for a second?  I feel like I've grown a lot as an educator.  I look for fun, exciting, interesting ways to teach everything.  I rely less and less on those boring worksheets and workbooks.  I have to admit, it's because of all of the awesome bloggers I follow.  They are an inspiration - filled with creativity, excitement, and love for teaching.  And, boy oh boy, it's rubbing off on me!



Anywho, back to the normal, non-gushy stuff....

I {HEART} data!  I've been doing monthly fluency tests with my students and they are ROCKING them!  I had one girl read 51 words FASTER than she did in October.  I had a boy become 70% more accurate since October.  R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S!   

How are they becoming better readers?

I make Reading FUN! :)  We use my Fluency Cards every day (as a game) to warm-up and to practice our phonics skills.  My students LOVE them!

I just put all of my Fluency Card packs into a huge bundle and I'd love for you to check it out!  :) It's 5 packs in 1 for a super discounted price.  The best thing about it is..... it is a GROWING bundle.  So, all of my fluency card packs from here on out will be added to this bundle.  That's a lifetime of fluency cards for a super discounted price! 

These Fluency Cards are SO fun to use during Reading groups.  My students get excited when I make a new set.  And, I get so excited when they are learning those tricky words and reading them in sentences! :) 


Have a great Tuesday!

2 comments

  1. Hi, Janet. I'm purchasing these tonight. Can you tell me exactly how you use them in Guided Reading? I need help for some struggling readers and would love to know what you have the kids do with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! We use the cards as a warm-up in Reading groups. The students each get a card and when they've sounded it out and can read it fluently, they read it to me and get a new card. The game continues until I run out of cards. The winner is the student with the most cards. I started making single word cards for my biggest strugglers. We practice with the words first and then move onto the sentence cards when they are more comfortable. I try to keep it fast paced so no one gets bored. :) My students love it so much that they insist on playing it during inside recess! I hope it provides your students with lots of fun and practice with their reading! :)

      Delete