MLK Jr. Day isn't Far Away!

I'm not a good planner.  I tend to scramble around holidays to pull something educational together for my students.  Horrible, I know.   I'm determined to be a better long-range planner.  That's why I'm already planning things for MLK Jr. Day!

Of course, we are off the actual holiday.  And, I'll be at a PD on the Tuesday following the holiday.  It would make sense to do all of my MLK Jr. activities on the Friday before the holiday, right?  Well, that's an in-service day for us.  SO... looks like our MLK Jr. learning day will be on Thursday, January 17th.  Good thing I figured that out now! ;)

Leading up to MLK Jr. day, we will be talking about good citizens.  My students have a pretty good grasp of what make a citizen "good", but we'll go a little more in depth.  I will be passing out certificates to the "Good Citizen of the Day".  I think that will really help my students focus on good behavior and positive interactions with others.

Here are the certificates that I plan on using.  Feel free to click the picture to grab a copy for yourself!


I have also started pinning some cute ideas to my "MLK Day" board.  Click here to check it out.

I'm going to work on pulling out some good, worthwhile, educational MLK Jr. activities to do with my kiddos on that Thursday before the holiday. :)

Hope you can find those certificates useful in your classroom!  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments

  1. Wow! I'm impressed with your long range planning. I get in such a routine of planning reading, phonics, writing, science, social studies, etc... and trying to keep up with our scope and sequence that these special days slip on me unexpectedly. I need to get my planner out and look ahead. It's been buried in my school bag since the Friday I left before our Holiday break. Ugh! I guess I need to get my act together. I go back Monday. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your Pinterest board link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to focus on school, plans, and teaching when we're off on break, isn't it?! Thanks for stopping by!! :) Good luck with the planning!

      Delete