Happy Sunday!

Happy Sunday!

I just wanted to let you know about a product that I've spent LOTS and LOTS of time on.  Although I'm not in the classroom right now (thank goodness for short term disability...!), I'm looking forward to using this product with my small groups when I get back.  I've found that SO many of the students in my groups (K-2) need so much help with CVC words.

I feel like short vowel sounds and CVC words are the first necessary stepping stone to harder phonics skills. CVC words follow phonics rules - exactly how they were first learned in preschool or Kindergarten.  The letter a says /a/ like apple.  Cut and dry.  Piece of cake. Easy to understand. Right?

Once they really grasp that, then we get to trick them and say, "HA!  The letter a doesn't only make a short sound...guess what!  It says it's name, that's called a long vowel.  Oh, and the long sound can be spelled in so many different ways!"  It just gets so confusing. 

Some of the students in my groups didn't even know their letter sounds.  So...how on Earth are we going to be successful in sounding out CVC words....let alone the long vowels that they're learning in class.  To be honest, it's scary that a student has made it to 2nd grade without knowing their letter sounds and being able to sound out CVC words.  We have LOTS of transient students, so that's not my business.  My business is catching them up...showing they CAN and WILL crush their goals in Tier 2, so they aren't pushed to Tier 3.

That's why I'm loving my new position (RtI small group teacher).  I get to work with the kids that really need me.  I get to figure out exactly what they need and start at that point.  Then, I get to watch as they meet goal after goal.  Although each and every student in my group has my heart, my favorite is when I get to push them back down to Tier I and keep them in the classroom.

How are they meeting their goals?  That's a whole different blog post (that I'll get to eventually).  For now, I just want you to check out my newest product.... something I'm excited to use in my groups.  A FUN way to help my students master CVC words and meet their goals....

 We LOVE I Have, Who Has games in group.  YES.  I play them in small groups!  Although there are 24 cards in the complete game (and I only have about 6 students), I just give each person more cards!
(Click the picture to take you to my store)


If you only need a specific vowel sound.. I also listed them as individual products.  Click on the pictures to see the product on TpT! 

       

      

       

       

        



No comments