Week 3 - Make Your Masterpiece!

I just completed week 3 of the TPT Seller Challenge! You haven't joined?  Better late than never!  Check out the details with the lovely hostesses:

Sparkling in SecondPeppy Zesty Teacherista


Although I teach 1st grade, I feel like a lot of my products are geared towards Kindergarten and even sometimes Preschool.  That's because my students come in SUPER low.  :)  I start off with almost a Kindergarten boot camp (review, review, review!) that lasts the few weeks - just to make sure everyone is as close to the same place as possible.

I've noticed that SO many of my incoming first graders don't know the Dolch pre-primer words. (EEEEK!)  That got me thinking.... my next product has to be something I'm going to find really useful in my own classroom.  Then, VOILA!  I knew what I was going to do!  I created a fancier version of something I've been using with my summer school students! 



I call them "Sight Word Sentences".  Basically, they are sentences that contain repetitive sight words.  The first 2 to 4 words are sight words.  The last word in the sentence (the unknown, tricky, hard-to-sound-out) word is shown with a picture.  All of the 40 Dolch pre-primer sight words are used in one (or more) of these pages.  

So....why do the sentences all start with the EXACT same words? 
1.  Repetition = memorization!   Did you know that a "naive learner" needs to learn/see something 90 TIMES before it becomes part of their memory?!  That's c-r-a-z-y! 

2.  Repetition = confidence booster!  By the last sentence on the page, they are sure to have a grasp of the sight words.   They will feel so proud and confident when they are reading! 

I plan to use this as extra practice in RTI groups or in the beginning of the year with my lowest reading group.   

As for summer school, my students are LOVING these.  I am teaching some of the previous Kindergarteners who are soooooo low.  My little guy ("Rocket Ship"), who still doesn't know all of this letters, is doing so well with these!  I can tell that he feels proud of himself when he finishes a page. :)  

Thanks for checking it out!  If you are interested in getting yourself a copy, you can find it in my store!  {follow the link!}  Oh, this product is FREE for today only!  :) 

Make sure you join in the fun with this TPT Seller Challenge! :) 




1 comment

  1. Love these sentences! I'd snatch them right up if we weren't doing Fry's this year :(

    Sparkling in Second

    ReplyDelete